By: Tavaga Research
The government in the past mandated individuals to link mobile number with Aadhar; the argument was that this would ensure that all the operational mobile numbers in the country are verified. The idea was that linking mobiles with Aadhar would root out the numbers obtained illegally. More importantly, online authentication through a one-time password (OTP) that is necessary for several purposes would become more secure. However, aadhar is no longer compulsory for mobile number verification.
Aadhar is a well-known 12-digit identification ID issued by the central government to all citizens of India. Since its launch, sometime in the last decade, Aadhar has acquired a lot of significance as an identity verification document. While enrolling for Aadhar, it is necessary to provide a valid mobile number to avail all the benefits, perform financial transactions and other activities hassle-free. Therefore, it is in the best interest of citizens to keep the Aadhar updated.
In order to avail yourself, the above-mentioned, aadhar related services; you need to register your number with UIDAI that is used to verify the authenticity. However, if you lost your number, want to change it or if you want to add another number, you can do so by visiting an Aadhar Enrolment Center.
How to change your mobile number in Aadhar online?
Mobile numbers can be changed or updated in your Aadhar ID only through offline methods now since UIDAI has abolished the online method to avoid the misuse of personal details. However, you can still access the application form for that online and save some time. But for that, you need your existing mobile number linked to your Aadhar card.
Changing your mobile number can be broadly categorized as:
- Changing the number using a one-time password (OTP)
- Changing it when without OTP
How to Change mobile number in Aadhar without OTP?
- Visit the nearest Aadhar Seva Kendra or Aadhar enrolment/update center
- Fill the application form to update the mobile number
- Enter your current mobile number in the application form
- You can skip filling in your previous mobile number
- The attendant will register your update request
- You’ll receive an acknowledgment in the form of an Update Request Number (URN)
- For availing of this service a fee of INR 25 is charged by the enrolment center
How to change your Mobile Number in Aadhar with OTP?
Generate an online application form for the purpose. Follow these steps to generate the form
- Visit the official Aadhar portal here https://uidai.gov.in/
- Login by entering your mobile number, crosscheck the details and click on Send OTP
- Enter the OTP and press Submit
- This takes you to the Aadhar services page where you can either Update Aadhar or opt for new enrolment. Press on update Aadhar
- The screen now will show you different fields such as Aadhar Number, Name, Resident Type, etc.
- Since you’re looking to link your mobile number, fill in the necessary details, and select Mobile Number under ‘what do you want to update section’.
- Next, it asks you for your mobile number. Fill in all the compulsory details and press on “ Send OTP”. Enter the OTP and proceed.
- Verify all the details before submitting the form
- Finally, you’ll end on a screen displaying the Appointment ID. Click on “Book Appointment” to hold a slot at the enrolment center
How to Book Appointment?
- Having outlined the process for generating the form above and reaching the “Book Appointment” page, you need to look for the nearest enrolment center. There are several options to search for an Aadhar Seva Kendra such as Pincode, name, state, etc.
- After picking one of the options, the portal will display a list of nearby enrollment centers. Pick one and choosing the time slot as per your convenience.
- Crosscheck the details once and confirm. You’ll receive an application form the PDF form. Save it and take a print out to the enrollment center.
Services that can be availed by linking mobile with Aadhar
- Pan Card Application
- Online aadhar facilities
- Mobile re-verification
- Mutual Fund linking with Aadhar
- Online EPF claims and withdrawal
- Umang App services
- mAadhar App