By: Tavaga Research
The Government of India a few years back issued the Aadhar Card which was used for unique identification. On the basis of biometric data of every individual, a unique 12-digit number, famously known as the Aadhar card number, was also issued.
With the Supreme Court’s latest court order, the linking of Aadhar Card with cell phone number has become mandatory. The motive behind this move was to reduce leakages and do away with fake documents used to get subsidies.
Linking Aadhar with SIM for new users
Linking the mobile number for the first time with Aadhar Card
How to link mobile number in Aadhar card first time?
Users looking to get a new SIM to need to visit the nearest store of a telecom operator, where they need to provide their Aadhar to get the new SIM. These steps can be following for completing the process:
- Visit the telecom operators store
- Ask for a new SIM
- Provide a copy of Aadhar as proof of identity and address proof.
- Verify your Aadhar identity by using the Biometric Scanner
- Post verification, a new SIM would be issued
The activation of the new SIM would take approximately an hour
How to check if my mobile number is linked to Aadhar card?
Steps to verify the mobile number in Aadhar
Step 1: Log in to https://resident.uidai.gov.in/verify-email-mobile
Step 2: Enter the 12- digit Aadhar Number
Step 3: Enter the mobile number to verify with the Aadhar
Step 4: Enter the captcha and click on Send OTP
Step 5: Verify your mobile number with Aadhar
Offline method to verify and link mobile number with Aadhar
There are two offline methods to verify the mobile number with Aadhar: verification through IVR and SMS based verification
How to link mobile number in Aadhar card online
Verification using IVR (Interactive Voice Response)
How to link mobile number in Aadhar card at home
All post paid and pre-paid could follow the steps mentioned below to link mobile number with Aadhar:
- Dial the toll free number 14546 using the mobile number
- Confirm that you are an Indian resident or and non-resident Indian (NRI)
- Press 1 if you an Indian resident
- Enter the Aadhar number
- Press 1 to verify the Aadhar number
- Enter the mobile number to receive an OTP
- Consent the telecom operator to access your name, photo, DOB from the UIDAI database
- Enter the OTP. Press 1 to complete the process
Verification using SMS
How to link Aadhar with mobile number by SMS?
- Visit the nearest store of your mobile operator
- Provide a self-attested copy of your Aadhar card
- Submit the Aadhar card details and the mobile number to the store attendant
- An OTP would then be generated and sent to your mobile number
- Give the OTP to the store attendant and verify your biometrics
- Within 24-hours, you would receive an SMS confirming the verification. Reply “Y” to complete the KYC process
How to add your existing mobile number to Aadhar card by visiting the enrolment center?
How to link mobile number in Aadhar card online without OTP
To make any changes to aadhar online, it is necessary to have a mobile number registered. The following procedure can be used to do the same:
- Visit the nearest Aadhar Seva Kendra and carry your Aadhar card with you.
- Ask the attendant for an application form to update the mobile number. A charge of INR 50 is levied
- Fill in the detail and submit, making sure that the numbers are correct
- Post that, you’ll receive a Unique Request Number (URN) that can be used to check the status of your application.
Aadhar Mobile Linking FAQs
Question: Can multiple mobile numbers be registered with an Aadhar card?
Ans. There can only be one number linked with Aadhar. However, you can register the same mobile number with several Aadhar cards.
Question: Do telecom operators charge any fee for mobile verification with Aadhar?
Ans. Telecom operators do not charge any fee for the verification of mobile numbers with Aadhar. It is free of cost.
Question: Can the Aadhar number be linked with a mobile number online?
Ans. Presently, you cannot link your Aadhar with a SIM card online. This can be done offline, through an OTP or IVR
Question: My mobile number is already registered with Aadhar; do I need to link it again?
Ans. If your mobile number is already linked with Aadhar, you don’t need to do it again.
Question: How to add a new mobile number to Aadhar Card?
Ans. You can do that by visiting an Aadhar Enrollment center and submitting an application generated on the official Aadhar portal. No documents are required, but a fee is charged.
Question: What happens if the linking process gets interrupted?
Ans. If the linking process gets interrupted and fails to link the mobile number with Aadhar, the connection will be deactivated until re-verification.